Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sugar-Free Banana Cake


Growing up and living with celiac disease, I found that for some reason people thought that since I couldn't have "normal food" I was supposed to be happy with crappy-tasting stuff that I could eat. Rice cakes (the old ones, not the new flavored ones) were the prime example of that to me. They were something that I could eat and potentially use as a hamburger bun or even as "bread" for a sandwich.  There was only one problem. They were like eating styrofoam. As a somewhat precocious seven-year-old, I called them hockey pucks. They were hard and chewy like a hockey puck but no self-respecting hockey player would have used these things.

Anyway, my goal since I've been cooking for my wife's and daughter's food issues has been to find recipes that are tasty variations or to do some "creative substitutions" to see if I can alter an existing recipe I know is good. This recipe falls in the former category.

My mom gave me this recipe out of one of her many church cookbooks. I think I need to tweak the flour combination because it has a bit of an aftertaste, but it honestly is pretty good.

  • 2/3 cup mashed bananas
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1-2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine
  • 2 cups flour (I used 2/3 cup tapioca flour, 2/3 cup Quinoa flour, and 2/3 cup buckwheat flour)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 5/8 cup water
  • 2 Tablespoons oil 
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts (I left these out at the request of my wife and daughter.)
In a mixing bowl, beat the bananas and butter until creamy. Add eggs and beat well. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon; add to banana mixture alternately with water and oil. beat well after each addition. Stir in nuts if desired. Spoon into a greased 9-inch square pan, or equivalent. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until done. A toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean.

There are a couple of changes I'll make next time, but I'll blog about those when I make the cake again.

No comments:

Post a Comment