Monday, January 24, 2011

Buckwheat Buns



Dona and Samantha have different eating issues, and this means that I end up doing a fair amount of specialized cooking. Samantha isn't supposed to have most grains, while Dona can. Even when I double the batches, I still usually end up baking about once every two weeks or so. I enjoy it, and the recipes are easy and fast, so making these is almost fun! I have adapted this recipe from ""Wheat Free.org" and it seems to be pretty good. The recipe is metric, so I just use our kitchen scale. I've tried to convert it in the recipe here.

Buckwheat Rolls

  • 1/2 cup Garbanzo Bean flour
  • 3/4 cup Tapioca flour
  • 1/2 cup Buckwheat flour
  • 1 Tablespoon Potato Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
  • 1/2 Tablespoon Baking Powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1 teaspoon vinegar
  • 1 medium egg
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
Mix the dry ingredients together and whisk to make sure you break up the lumps. As I've noted before, tapioca flour, as well as the baking powder, can stay lumpy. As you can see in the picture at the top, I forgot to do this. Again. Add the wet ingredients and mix until smooth. The dough will be wet and fairly sticky. If you have them, you probably could use English Muffin rings, but I just use tuna cans. Make sure you coat the cans or rings with nonstick spray or grease them in some way. Spoon about 1/3-1/2 cup of mixture into a can or ring. Since I have the kitchen scale out, I just use it and make them between 2 and 2.5 ounces. They are not super pretty, but they will taste good when we're done. 


If the dough wasn't so sticky, I would try to smooth them out. You might be able to use a scoop of some kind to make them smooth on top. If you scoop them out of the dough, that sometimes works, but, thankfully, Samantha doesn't seem to mind if they are smooth on top or not. Bake them for 30 minutes at 350 degrees in a preheated oven. If you are a person who checks the original recipes that I use, some of them will say to bake them at a higher temperature for a shorter period of time. I rarely have luck with this, for some reason. Perhaps my stove sucks, but I have better luck baking at 350 for a little longer period of time. Also, Buckwheat is a pretty wet flour, so you need to make sure it's cooked all the way through. Once the buns are done, they usually roll right out of the tuna cans for me. Occasionally one will stick in a spot, but if you scrape along the edge with a table knife, it should come right out.

No comments:

Post a Comment