Monday, January 10, 2011

Pizza! Sauce



I'm sorry for being so slow with this post. Last weekend we hosted a high school speech and debate tournament. There were around 350 students, coaches, and judges who attended, so I was a little busy. There are four coaches here at NWC, and we all were busy and worked hard. After 14-hour days Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, I was ready to watch TV yesterday. Most of the time, though, I'll try to post at least a couple of times a week. 

As you may or may not remember, last Monday we had pizza for supper/dinner, and I promised I would let you in on the secret of my sauce.  Actually it's really easy and quick to make, if you have the herbs and spices.

Pizza Sauce
  • One can of tomato sauce
  • 1/4-1/3 cup ketchup 
  • 1 small can tomato paste (the really small ones. they are like 4 or 7 ounces.)
  • 1 Tablespoon garlic grains
  • 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
  • 1 Tablespoon oregano
  • 1 teaspoon basil
  • 1/2-1 teaspoon marjoram leaf
  • 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
  • 1/4 teaspoon thyme
Stir this together and spread about a 1/3 to a 1/2 cup on a pizza crust. I use the back of a spoon to spread it around. It should look something like this. I had enough sauce for four pizzas.



It might not be New York or Chicago, but it will work for Wyoming!

All my herbs and spices are dry. I have never used fresh herbs or spices. I don't have anything against them, I just have never had access to fresh herbs and spices. I know most chefs will tell you the fresh ones are better (that's what they say on Food Network, anyway). I do try to buy my herbs and spices at a health food store, though. I think they are less expensive and, hopefully, more fresh and if higher quality. If they are going to sit in a jar for a long time, I'd rather it was in my kitchen than in the store.

I play a little fast and loose with the measurements, which is why I'm a little vague in the recipe above. (The ketchup is about a one-second squirt). I do think I have them fairly close, though. I usually use a non-measuring tablespoon to "measure" the spices. I learned this pizza sauce recipe from my mom, who does a lot of cooking by the "dump until it looks right" method. After 60 years of cooking, I suppose she has a feel for it. Despite what Dona and Samantha claim, (It tastes different every time you make it!) I really do measure all the stuff I make. Alternative flours or mixes are less forgiving than wheat flour, I think, so you really do want to measure stuff as accurately as you can.
I use the spoon on the right to put all my spices in the pizza sauce.
I should use the spoon on the left.
(Ignore the fancy measuring spoon in the background.)

No comments:

Post a Comment