Anyway, hotdish is another word for casserole. (We call it hotdish because it's hot.) My mom made what she called Rice Hotdish for as long as I can remember. I've played with the recipe a bit, but the basics are still here.
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 pound hamburger, browned and drained (you can use Italian Sausage, too, for some variation)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup ( I use Progresso because it's gluten-free)
- A handful of frozen peas if you really want more color
- 1/2 cup sliced celery if you want some extra vegetables
Mom originally used a can of chicken rice soup from Campbell's. However, they started making it not gluten-free, so she found some other brand. I like mushrooms so I added mushrooms and a homemade cream soup. Now, Progresso makes a gluten-free cream-of-mushroom soup, so things go a little faster.