Monday, April 25, 2011

Lettuce Wraps


As I may or may not have told you, Dona is on a mostly vegetable and fruit diet. This presents some challenges, especially when I'm cooking for someone who doesn't really like vegetables all that much. Dona had this recipe for lettuce wraps that had mint and basil as well as bean sprouts. I don't have access to fresh mint or basil (hard to believe, living in rural Wyoming, the local grocery store doesn't carry those). So I improvised.

Lettuce Wraps
  • Romaine Lettuce
  • Bean sprouts
  • Asparagus
  • One Avocado
  • Carrots
I started by just using the whole lettuce leaf but the base doesn't really roll very well. Maybe I was doing it wrong. Anyway, I decided to cut off the lower three inches or so, and use it as part of the wrap. (For all of these pictures, I took the last wrap I made apart so I could show you what I did.)


Then, you just layer the different vegetables into the green end of the lettuce leaf. I started with the lettuce.











The avocado I sliced into 12 sections, and put two sections in each wrap. The avocado really gives some body and fullness of flavor to these.

No comments:

Post a Comment