Monday, February 21, 2011

Truffles


If you've been following this blog at all, you know that Dona and Samantha don't eat sugar. So, sweet treats are a real rarity. There are some candy bars you can buy at local health food stores, but they are $3-4 each.

In the Wednesday, February 9, issue of the Billings Gazette there were three truffle recipes. I thought I might see if I could make something that was edible with chocolate and some agave syrup.

Truffles
  • 5 squares of unsweetened chocolate
  • 1/2 cup agave syrup*
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream 
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond or pistachio extract
  • 1/2-1 cup pistachios, crushed
Break up or cut the chocolate into small pieces and put in a saucepan. As you can see, I didn't think about that until AFTER I put the chocolate and agave together. Grrr!


Add the syrup and cream. turn the heat on medium or medium low and stir slowly and carefully so that you don't spill and it doesn't burn.

Once everything is combined, stir in the extract and beat well. Put this in the refrigerator at least two hours. I left it over night, partially because I forgot about it.

Once the mixture is firm, scoop out equal amounts and put on a piece of wax paper. I use a melonballer, but I think a spoon would probably work just as well. The chocolate was hard to get out of the melonballer.

Roll each ball in your hands briefly until it forms a ball and then roll in the crushed pistachios or leave it plain!

You will get a lot of chocolate on your hands, but I'm not sure what the downside to that is. These are rich and very strong, but very tasty.


*You may have to adjust the agave to your taste. I started with five tablespoons and it wasn't enough. I'm guessing I used about a half a cup for this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment