Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Chicken Nuggets


I've been wanting to share this recipe for awhile, and finally have it put together. This batter has served me well and will appear in a couple of recipes you will see here. I don't deep fry a lot of food, because it's not terribly healthy for you. However, we do enjoy deep frying stuff once in awhile.

I have never had "Chicken Nuggets" so I don't know what they are actually supposed to taste like. However, these batter-covered chicken pieces taste pretty darn good. I think you could play around with the spices in the batter if you wanted, as well. I haven't had time to do so, but I'll gladly take any suggestions folks might have.

Heat 4-5 inches of oil in a kettle with a thermometer attached, or fire up your deep fryer to 350 degrees. I usually use canola oil, but peanut oil should work fine as well. Alton Brown from the Food Network recommends peanut oil, but it's more expensive than canola oil, and I'm cheap.

Batter
  • 1/2 cup tapioca flour (I usually use rice flour, but Dona and Sam can't have it right now)
  • 1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
  • 2 Tablespoons potato starch (You also can use corn starch if you want)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup water
Combine dry ingredients, add water, and beat until smooth.

Cut your chicken into one-half inch thick pieces. I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts.



If you didn't start in a wide, flat-bottomed container of some sort, pour your batter into one and place your pieces of chicken in it. Use a fork to turn them over until they are well-coated. They don't have to be completely covered, though.



Using your fork, place 7-10 pieces in the oil and cook for 7 minutes. Scoop them out with a slotted spoon and put on a plate lined with paper towel to drain You also could use a wire rack.


Yum! Let's eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment