Sunday, March 20, 2011

"Quicklunch" (Tuna Casserole)


I have had this recipe since I started graduate school in 1994. It was in a packet of recipes I received from her when I moved out on my own and really had to start cooking for myself. I have modified it a bit, but everyone in the family likes it, and you can make it even healthier if you use brown rice. I like mixing brown and white rice  because the brown rice provides a nutty flavor.

Quicklunch

  • 3 cups cooked rice (brown, white, or some combination thereof.)
  • 2 6 1/2 ounce cans tuna fish
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 can black olives, drained and chopped
  • 1/4-1/2 cup onion, chopped
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 Tablespoons parsley flakes
  • 2 teaspoons Lawry's seasoning salt
Mix all the ingredients together. You probably should let the rice cool off a little, because it melts the cheese and then doesn't mix very well. Put 2/3-3/4 of your mixture in a 3-4 quart baking dish. Arrange 4-6 slices of American cheese on top of the mixture. I usually use Velveeta, which I know probably isn't really cheese, but it works well.

Top with the rest of your rice/tuna mixture.

Cover this and bake for 45 minutes to an hour at 350 degrees. I like it with salad. It's really good as leftovers (warmed up, of course) with salad that has french dressing on it. For some reason I personally like that flavor combination. This will make quite a bit and it fills you up, so don't eat too fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment